Sanitary Napkin Market: Definition/Overview
- Sanitary napkin is an absorbent item used during menstruation cycle. Sanitary napkins are available in different shapes and sizes with varying capacities of absorption. In addition, disposable sanitary napkins are available with improved protection, including 100% odor lock gel technology and added scents. All these feature are expected to increase the demand for disposable sanitary napkins during the forecast period.
Global Sanitary Napkin Market: Regional Overview
- Sanitary napkin market in Asia Pacific is anticipated to grow at a rapid rate during the forecast period. Usage of sanitary napkins is low in rural areas due to lack of awareness about menstrual hygiene. For instance, in India, approximately 80% to 90% of rural women use cloth during of menstruation. This increases health issues in women such as vaginal infection. This factor is anticipated to accelerate the sanitary napkin market during the forecast period.
Global Sanitary Napkin Market: Trends
- Sanitary napkins are made of rayon and hydrophilic wood pulp. These materials absorb less fluid. Currently, companies are using non-woven and super absorbent polymer materials, which absorb liquid faster as compared to conventional sanitary napkins. Additionally, these materials minimize the thickness of sanitary napkins.
- Emerging trends accelerating the global sanitary napkin market include growing acceptance of wings style sanitary napkins, increase in e-commerce, and preference for organic products
Global Sanitary Napkin Market: Drivers, Opportunities, and Restraints
- Factors such as health issues, growing population of working women, rising awareness about female hygiene, and changing buying preferences are anticipated to accelerate the sanitary napkin market growth during the forecast period
- Governments of various countries are encouraging sanitary napkin manufactures to conduct hygiene campaigns and develop marketing strategies to change the perception of women, and build their self-confidence and self-esteem. This is expected to drive the global sanitary napkin market during the forecast period.
- Rapid innovation in sanitary napkins is anticipated to fuel the growth of the global sanitary napkin market. Market players are focusing on the adoption of business strategies, such as product development and expanding their distribution channel. Manufacturers are introducing printed and newer styles of sanitary napkins. This is expected to increase the demand for sanitary napkins across the world during the forecast period.
- There are several substitutes in the market such as tampons, panty liners, and menstrual cups that are expected to hamper the sanitary napkin market growth during the forecast period
Global Sanitary Napkin Market: Key Segments
The global sanitary napkin market has been segmented based on type, coverage type, size, style, usage, distribution channel, and region.
By Type - In terms of type, the global sanitary napkin market has been classified into disposable napkin and reusable napkin. Disposable sanitary napkin has been further divided classified into 6-8 napkins, 8- 15 napkins, 15 - 20 napkins and more than 20 napkins. Reusable napkin is classified into 1 - 4 napkins, 4 - 7 napkins, and more than 7 napkins.
By Coverage Type - Based on coverage type, the global sanitary napkin market has been segmented into soft coverage and dry coverage
By Size - In terms of size, the global sanitary napkin market has been categorized into regular, large, and extra-large. Extra-large segment is expected to grow at a rapid rate during the forecast period.
By Style - On the basis of style, the global sanitary napkin market has been bifurcated into wings and without wings
By Usage - In terms of usage, the global sanitary napkin market has been divided into day and night. Night segment is anticipated to expand at a high rate during the forecast period.
By Distribution Channel - Based on distribution channel, the global sanitary napkin has been bifurcated into online and offline. Online segment has been sub-segmented into company - owned website and e-commerce website. The offline segment has been divided into hypermarkets/ supermarkets, specialty stores, and brand stores.
By Region - Based on region, the global sanitary napkin market has been categorized into North America (U.S., Canada, and Rest of North America), Europe (U.K., Italy, France, Germany, and Rest of Europe), Asia Pacific (India, China, Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, Australia, and Rest of Asia Pacific), Middle East & Africa (GCC, South Africa, and Rest of Middle East & Africa), and South America (Argentina, Brazil, and Rest of South America). Asia Pacific is likely to be the most attractive sanitary napkin market during the forecast period due to acceptance and increasing awareness about sanitary napkins. North America and Europe are witnessing demand for sanitary napkins due to the preference of women for sanitary napkins over menstruation cups and tampons.
Global Sanitary Napkin Market: Competition Landscape
The global sanitary napkin market is fragmented due to the presence of several players. Competition is expected to intensify in the near future with the entry of several local players. Some of the key players in the market are Edgewell Personal Care Company, Kao Corporation, Unicharm Corporation, Inc., Bodywise (UK) Ltd., TZMO, Hengan International Group Company Limited, Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., Procter & Gamble, and Kimberly – Clark, Essity Aktiebolag, Ontex International N.V., and others.